Sunday, June 23, 2013

Re-defining my Dash

I've jumped into the blogging craze! Well, craze is not really the most positive word to use but it does somewhat describe it. I love to write but don't take the time to do it very often. Re-defining my Dash refers to the neatest poem I read many years ago. When I figure out how to link it on here, I'll post it. It basically talks about the dates of birth and death when someone passes away. Yet what is really important is the stuff that happened in between those dates...the dash! The dash represents our lives. All that we did or achieved. Anyway, I love it and especially at this point in my life, I feel like I really need to re-Define my Dash!
 
Isn't life funny sometimes. We often think of an event far into the future, a long ways away, can't possibly be here yet. But suddenly, it's here! Where did all the time go? How did we get here so quickly? Now what do I do? I am here. Where? At the point in my life when all of my children are out of the home. It's that dreaded "empty nest syndrome!" Really, what do I do now? I've been a mom for 28 years and suddenly, nobody needs to be mothered! 

My youngest son is serving a two year mission for our church. I miss him like crazy but happy for what he is doing. My only daughter left one week ago tomorrow for the Missionary Training Center for 6 weeks of mission and language training. I've sent 3 other children off on missions, I'm not really new at this.
Do you know how when you've done something a few times it gets much easier. Like exercising-the first 2 or 3 times it's really hard and can be quite painful. But, eventually you get used to it and you're fine. Or maybe like baking-after the first few tries, baking cookies for example, you discover that it's not hard to do at all. It's really quite easy. Most things we do in life become easier the more we do it.

Most things, EXCEPT for.....sending your child off to their next big adventure. Whether it's college, employment, or in my case, church missions. It's a glorious thing and it certainly is what you want them to do but the saying good-bye is so hard to do. Well, this is where I am.This is the fifth time I have done this. Like learning to bake cookies, you would think I would be really good at it. That would be a false assumption! I am not! As a matter of fact, I am pretty lousy at good-byes, especially when it comes to my children.

I need to redefine my life now with all of my children away. It just seems so strange to not have any children at home. When Matthew went off to college for a semester last fall, it was really good practice. But now it's the real deal...no practicing.  There is a saying that goes like this,  "It's not over till the fat lady sings!" Well, the fat lady has sung! Now the real empty nesting begins! Life is always changing and hopefully we move forward in a positive way. At least that is what I'm going to try as I re-define my dash.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, look at this! I'm excited to see what you'll come up with here!

    ReplyDelete